History

History of Sunninghill & Ascot

The Parish is steeped in history. Originally consisting mainly of heath and woodland, historical changes can be observed. The church of St Michael’s and All Angels in Sunninghill is of Saxon origin, Henry V111 signed his first document as king at Eastmore, (now Sunninghill Park); and The Thatched Tavern, Cheapside, retains some of its ancient 16th century timbers.

Yet it was Queen Anne who put Ascot on the map in 1711, by founding a racecourse whilst out hunting on the East Cote (now Ascot). In 1714, she preserved an area in the centre for racing. A railway was built in 1856 providing easy access to London. This attracted race goers and people to the area. Sunninghill grew as a busy, thriving High Street and the village still retains the narrow streets and cottages of the Victorian era. In 1920 a Picture House was built, which now houses the Novello Theatre, a Mr. Thomas Holloway, who manufactured medicinal pills, built Royal Holloway College on the A30 and a hospital for the treatment of T.B. was founded at Heatherwood.

In the 1950s the Bouldish Farm Estate was built, using street names associated with Lewis Carroll and the popularity of the area has subsequently led to the building of modern houses and flats.